Q&A with Deerfield OL Joe LoChiatto

WESTFIELD — Last Saturday, Excel Sports Academy hosted a showcase for local athletes in front of dozens of college coaches.

One of the best performers on the day 6-foot-2, 292-pound interior offensive lineman Joe LoChiatto. The Agawam native is transferring to Deerfield Academy, where he will repeat his sophomore year in 2019.

In one-on-one reps against some of the top linemen in Western Mass., Connecticut, and other parts of New England, LoChiatto did not lose one rep. LoChiatto's assets include his strong hands, initial punch, and ability to maintain control once he gets his hands on you.

According to ESA strength trainer Christian Ferrara, LoChiatto can dead lift 500 pounds five times without breaking a sweat, and said the lineman could get to 15 if he wanted, but Ferrara did not want to push it. We were initially skeptical of the claim until Ferrara showed us the video of LoChiatto doing just that.

Needless to say, LoChiatto is someone to keep an eye on going forward. We spoke to him after the showcase to get his thoughts on his transfer to Deerfield, and what he hopes to accomplish in the future.

Here is an edited version of that conversation.

MassVarsity: Can you tell me what it's like working with (Ferrara)?

Joe LoChiatto: Oh, it's unbelievable. I heard stuff before, like is it going to really live up to what it is? He expects the most out of us. Everyone's there, working for the same goal, and we just all hit our maxes every week.

MV: What's it like, I mean, have you been able to meet any of the new kids at Deerfield yet?

JL: I've been, ever since the season, I've started to talking to coach (Brian Barbato). I've been out there. I slept over a few times. I'm in already. I already know everyone. It's just good to always be up there.

MV: Are you sort of anxious to get on campus and everything like that?

JL: It's just a whole new world. I never thought I'd be leaving this early. I've got my own room. It's just weird to think about.

MV: Tell me a little bit about how you feel like you did today and stuff?

JL: My running and agility stuff, I haven't run them in forever, so it was a little slower than I expected. But I think in the one-on-one drills I did well and really showed what I have and what I can compete with.

MV: What are the things you think you have to improve on the most?

JL: When I play a bigger kid, a more athletic kid, I've just got to learn where to put him and where I want to put him. They're just s big and they're just as strong, and they know what they want to do, and I've got to learn what I want.

Comments

  1. Titanium Rod with Detailing Case - Titsanium Art
    The titanium rod power supply titanium is mens black titanium wedding bands a great samsung titanium watch replacement for your old, revlon titanium max edition traditional brass rod that has some advantages. Titanium Rods have been producing titanium nitride coating high quality

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Ferrara provides lift for Western Mass. athletes

Boston College star Lukas Denis, seen with a mother's love, stern eye

Q&A with Dennis-Yarmouth WR Geoffrey Jamiel