Q&A with BB&N OL Andrew Nee

HANOVER — After a stellar showing at the All-American Underclassmen Combine in San Antonio, BB&N offensive lineman Andrew Nee was back at it on Sunday for the MASS ELITE 7v7 Underclassmen Combine at the Starland Sportsplex.

Nee, as he was down in Texas, was again dominant in drills, so we spoke with the 6-foot-4, 285-pound Walpole native for a few minutes.

Here is an edited version of that conversation.

MassVarsity: How important was it for you to go down to San Antonio and show your stuff and get named All-Combine?

Andrew Nee: Being from Massachusetts, I feel you've got to prove yourself that much more on the national spectrum to prove you can play at the next level. So, having the opportunity to go down to compete against four-stars, five-stars, and just show what I can do, and put me in that conversation meant a lot to me.

MV: Since Massachusetts doesn't get a ton of respect from other states, how fun was it to compete and show you're as good as those guys?

AN: Well, lining up against a kid from Georgia who thinks kids from Massachusetts can't play football, and just being able to put him in the dirt, (it was great to) just get that satisfaction that Massachusetts can play football with anyone in this country.

MV: Were you always planning on coming to this combine, too? They're pretty close together. Do you just try to get to as many as you can?

AN: I've known (Middlesex School defensive backs coach and event organizer Will Croom) for a while. I came to this showcase last year as a tuneup for the combine because it was beforehand. I'm just hoping to get any work I can: any one-on-one reps; any O-line drills. Just work on my craft, and try to get as close to perfection as possible.

MV: What was it like at BB&N this year? You had some great teams in the ISL, then beat a Class A team, Avon Old Farms, really dominated them, in the bowl. What was your fall like?

AN: Being in the ISL, there's no better competition than that up in Massachusetts. I think ISL players can compete with anyone in the country. So just being able to play high competition week-in, week-out, I think it really helped me develop my game, and get me to where I am today.

MV: Why do you think it's important for kids to come to things like this?

AN: There's no better place. You can do skill reps on air all you want, but if you're not competing, I don't think you're getting better. You've got to challenge yourself. Go against that kid that might beat you, and try to win that rep. Just challenge yourself: go against bigger kids; go against older kids; go against faster kids. And, just, hopefully get better.

MV: What else are you doing this winter? Are you playing any other sports?

AN: This winter, I'm working on my strength and conditioning at Velocity Sports Performance in Norwood. Then, this spring, I'm throwing in track and field because our throwing coach is our defensive coordinator, and also our strength and conditioning coach at BB&N.

MV: Is it fun to play at a school like BB&N where you guys get to run the ball so much?

AN: I think at BB&N it's great that we run the ball 60 times a game, and have multiple 100-yard backs per game. There's no better feeling of accomplishment for an offensive line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Ferrara provides lift for Western Mass. athletes

Boston College star Lukas Denis, seen with a mother's love, stern eye

Q&A with Dennis-Yarmouth WR Geoffrey Jamiel