Q&A with Dennis-Yarmouth WR Geoffrey Jamiel

HANOVER — Only a sophomore, Dennis-Yarmouth wide receiver Geoffrey Jamiel has already made his mark as one of the top players in the state at his position.

At Sunday's MASS ELITE 7v7 Underclassmen Showcase at the Starland Sportsplex, Jamiel again displayed the attributes that make him so tough to cover. Not only does the 5-foot-8, 150-pounder have good speed and quickness, but his route-running skills, body control, and hands never disappoint.

We spoke to Jamiel for a few minutes after the event. Here is an edited version of that conversation.

MassVarsity: How many times have you been to showcases like this?

Geoffrey Jamiel: Over the summer I went to the New England Elite Clinic. But, since then, I haven't really gone . . . I've gone to more private ones, like one days for colleges. But this is my first showcase, kind of, with a bunch of other kids.

MV: Obviously, you had another great year, and today really stood out again. What kind of feedback are you getting from coaches?

GJ: Both my older brothers play college football. One (Jo Jo) played at Sacred Heart, graduated there. My other one (Andrew) played at Stonehill. So my family's in and around a lot of schools. My last name's well-known, so coaches know me through them a little bit. Then that kind of gets me a lot of interest, and then gets me some exposure.

MV: Do you end up recognizing a lot of the kids when you come to these things?

GJ: Yeah, a few. I'm on Twitter and social media like that, too, so I kind of know them through other articles, like the Herald All-Scholastics and all that. So I recognize some faces, yeah, definitely.

MV: What were some of the things that you progressed at this year that you felt that you got better at?

GJ: Definitely run after the catch, because I started as a freshman on offense and I've been a good route runner, but I wouldn't do anything after the catch. But this year I got a lot more confident with breaking tackles and all that stuff.

MV: You've been at it now two years at D-Y. It seems to me one of the more complex passing offenses in the state. Does that help you in terms of understanding what you want to do?

GJ: Definitely. One thing that's great about us is our offensive coordinator from our high school also runs the youth program. So we run the same offense from first grade all the way up through high school. By the time you hit freshman year in high school, you just hit the ground running. It's like you know all the concepts already, so it helps a lot.

MV: Is it too early, or do you talk to any schools yet?

GJ: It's a little early for me, and especially because I'm a little undersized, I've got to work on my size and speed a little bit. Hopefully, some colleges start talking to me and I'll get some more offers, or something like that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boston College star Lukas Denis, seen with a mother's love, stern eye

Christian Ferrara provides lift for Western Mass. athletes