Q&A with BB&N OL Zak Zinter

CAMBRIDGE — It was a rainy, windy, and cold evening at BB&N on Monday, as the Knights and coach Mike Willey held a showcase for their players in front of college coaches from all levels.

One player for the Knights whom everyone had their eyes on was North Andover native and mega-recruit Zak Zinter, who transferred to BB&N from St. John's Prep the previous season.

At 6-foot-6, 300 pounds, Zinter casts an enormous shadow, and holds offers from schools all over the country. Although he is listed in the 247Sports.com database as a tackle prospect, he could end up at guard, or even center, at the next level, depending on how his body develops.

Zinter is just one of several BB&N offensive linemen to hold Division I offers. Teammates Andrew Nee, a UMass commit, and Nathan Roach, who just picked up offers from UMass and Boston College, also make up what should be another tremendous front line for the Knights this season.

With college teams clamoring for Zinter's commitment, we spoke to the class of 2020 player about his experience at BB&N, the recruiting process, and what lies ahead in the coming months.

Here is an edited version of that conversation.

MassVarsity: What was it like to perform out here in these less-than-ideal weather conditions?

Zak Zinter: It was cold. It was windy. But we're excited, we're hyped up for the season, so it was fun.

MV: You've performed at a lot of camps in settings like this. Do you sort of have it down by now?

ZZ: I'm always working on my form, trying to get better, the techniques, trying to do little stuff like this during the offseason. It just builds and builds, and then we're ready to go for the season.

MV: You've been offered by almost everyone in the world it seems like. What's it been like to go through the process like this?

ZZ: I'm just blessed and humbled to be given all the opportunities I've been given. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out where's the best fit for me. It's been my childhood dream since I was little to play college ball. So just coming true, it's awesome.

MV: Were you ever "little"?

ZZ: (Laughs) I was! I was the smallest baby of three, so . . .

MV: Do you have your summer plans mapped out yet?

ZZ: I don't yet, no, not yet.

MV: Is that going to be something you're going to have to sit down with your folks and try and figure out . . .

ZZ: Exactly, yeah. In the next couple weeks, we'll probably go through the whole schedule and map it out.

MV: And at what point . . . Do you want to decide before the season, or . . .

ZZ: I would, yeah. I'd like to make the decision before the season just so I can be with the guys for my senior season, get my head clear, focus on football and training.

MV: Finally, what's it going to be like to play with your brother more this year? (Preston Zinter, a tight end/defensive end, will be a freshman for the Knights this season.)

ZZ: Oh, it's going to be awesome. Last year was the first year on the field together at the same time. Just to be able to build more memories, and then one day maybe we could play in college together.

MV: That would be awesome.

ZZ: It would.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boston College star Lukas Denis, seen with a mother's love, stern eye

Christian Ferrara provides lift for Western Mass. athletes

Q&A with Dennis-Yarmouth WR Geoffrey Jamiel