Q&A with Springfield Central CB Keshaun Dancy Jr.

HOLYOKE — On Monday, MassVarsity caught up with Springfield Central cornerback Keshaun Dancy Jr. at the Excel Sports Academy 7-on-7 finals, which the Golden Eagles won with a 36-30 overtime victory over Westfield.

Dancy, a senior, is one of the best cornerbacks in the state from a program that traditionally produces plenty of quality defensive backs.

Here's an edited version of our conversation.

MV: When did you get started at Central?

KD: Yeah, I started here as a freshman. I just, throughout the year, just worked, bought into the program, and that's where I'm at.

MV: Who were the guys at Central you looked up to growing up?

KD: When I was a freshman, probably Tank Walker, dudes like Joe Luna. Just workhorses.

MV: When did you move into a starting role?
KD: Sophomore year I started getting reps. Sophomore offseason I just worked hard. I had a good junior year, had a good junior season going into my senior year now.

MV: How many scholarship offers do you have right now?
KD: I have nine.

MV: Do you know them off the top of your head?
KD: Yeah, I have Holy Cross. I have Bryant. I have Sacred Heart. I have the University of New Hampshire. I have Colgate. I have Fordham, Lafayette. A couple more I'm missing.

MV: (Things are going pretty well) if you can't remember them all, though, right?
KD: Yeah.

MV: Are there any other schools that are (waiting to see how you do) your senior season?
KD: UConn and Syracuse are both waiting for my second game.

MV: What are some of the things you want to work on to get better?
KD: Probably just being able to read offenses faster, just studying film to put myself in better positions on the field.

MV: I'm from Eastern Mass., so I don't know Springfield very well. What's your situation here?
KD: I grew up in Forest Park. It isn't really the best area. It's kind of like, low-poverty area, so I kind of just worked through it, got myself away from it with the football.

MV: How were you able to do that?  Is it just sort of concentrating, staying focused? 
KD: Concentrating, and being surrounded by people who have the same goals. It makes it a lot easier. My parents (help me), too. A big help.

MV: Who were some of the other role models you had growing up other than the players in the program?
KD: Probably coach (Vlad) Brower, coach (Bill) Watson, coach (Julius) Walker, coach Chris (Ferreira), too. The whole coaching staff.

MV: Do the older players from Central come back and stay involved with the program?
KD: Usually in the summertime is when the guys come back, work out, help us out, the older dudes help us get better.

MV: How much are your looking forward to the season? I know (7-on-7) is fun, but this isn't the real deal.
KD: It's not at all. I'm looking forward to it a lot. Winning that first state title. That's what I'm really looking forward to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Ferrara provides lift for Western Mass. athletes

Boston College star Lukas Denis, seen with a mother's love, stern eye

Q&A with Dennis-Yarmouth WR Geoffrey Jamiel