Q&A with Doherty's Tajon Vassar

When we were putting together our All-State team, there were some tough decisions from one spot to the next.

However, it was quite easy to see that Doherty's Tajon Vassar deserved a spot on the first team.

Vassar plays both running back and cornerback for the Highlanders, so we placed him in the "athlete" category.

Wherever he lines up, he's a playmaker, though, and it doesn't really matter where you put him to find that out.

On Wednesday, MassVarsity spoke to Vassar on the phone to talk about this season, his summer, and what is happening in terms of his recruitment.

Here is an edited version of that conversation.

MV: I guess the first thing I'd ask is how excited are you for the season and getting everything started this weekend?
TV: (Wachusett) beat us in double-overtime last year, and they also beat us my sophomore year, so (we want) a little bit of revenge.

MV: What was your summer like as far as training and trying to get better?
TV: Just a lot of time in the gym and on the field, working with my 7-on-7 team, just working on my movements.

MV: You work out with Legacy Northeast?
TV: Yeah, and I work out also sometimes with Cambridge XPA (Xplosive Performance Academy), and a local gym near my high school.

MV: How important is that work when the season rolls around? How much do you see a difference?
TV: Definitely see a difference. Just the way I move, it's different, proper. It keeps me ahead of the game, and how easy it is to just make people miss and stuff like that. It's all what I trained for.

MV: With colleges, what schools are you hearing from and all that?
TV: UNH. I've talked to Holy Cross, Fordham. A little interest from UConn. But still working toward schools I want to get to.

MV: What are the schools like that that you want to hear from?
TV: My dream school is UNC. That's my goal.

MV: What is your current height and weight?
TV: I'm 5-8, 170.

MV: What do you think are your biggest strengths as a player?
TV: My movement, making guys miss, my awareness on the field.

MV: What are the things you need to work on for your game this year?
TV: Just getting my speed up, try and become more of a hitter, so tackling. Just speed is more of my focus right now.

MV: You play on both sides of the ball. Do you like being able to stay on the field at all times?
TV: Yeah, definitely. It helps my team out. Just the difference between defense and offense, defense is a little more physical. So to get out there, getting a couple hits in, defend guys, I like corner. I like shutting people down. I do whatever I have to do to make my team win.

MV: What are your team goals this year?
TV: Definitely win a state championship, get a ring on. That's the big goal. That's what we're shooting for over here.

MV: Do you remember the Doherty team that won in 2013?
TV: Yeah, my brother was on that team, Tavian Vassar. He was a sophomore then. (Former Boston College and current Denver Broncos cornerback) Isaac Yiadom, (Alfred) Adarkwah.

MV: Do you ever talk to those guys about what it was like?
TV: I haven't talked to them about what it's like, but I've talked to Isaac a few times. Talked to him this summer, and my brother, of course. I see him every day. My brother, John, also won a title back in 2010 at St. John's (of Shrewsbury). He was in the class with (current Philadelphia Eagles tight end) Richard Rodgers. They've got something on me. I see their rings at the house, stuff like that, so I'm trying to bring one home this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Ferrara provides lift for Western Mass. athletes

Boston College star Lukas Denis, seen with a mother's love, stern eye

Q&A with Dennis-Yarmouth WR Geoffrey Jamiel