Q&A with Lawrence Academy QB Brady Martin

HANOVER — On Sunday, we checked out the MASS ELITE 7v7 Underclassmen Showcase at the Starland Sportsplex. One of the top quarterback prospects in attendance was Lawrence Academy junior Brady Martin.

A Leominster native, the 6-foot, 195-pound Martin was recently offered by UMass. We spoke to Martin for a few minutes after the combine to get his thoughts on that, and a few other subjects, as well.

Here is an edited version of that conversation.

MassVarsity: What was it like to get offered by UMass?

Brady Martin: Honestly, it took a huge weight off my shoulders, not only for myself, but for my family, too. It's something I've been working for since I was a little kid. Now that it's happened, it's pretty awesome.

MV: What was your conversation like with new UMass coach Walt Bell when he gave you the offer?

BM: Most of the coaches followed me on Twitter first, and then he DM'd me to call him. Then I called him up, and he offered me a scholarship. He was just like, 'Listen, this is home. . . . I know what the area's like, and we think you can be that guy.'

MV: What do you know about his offense? Did he get into that with you?

BM: He was at Florida State first. He was the offensive coordinator there, and that's really all we talked about. But I know he was recruiting (University of North Carolina commit) Sam Howell for a while. That's a player I try to base my game off of, as well. He's a shorter quarterback that can move.

MV: What was your experience like here today, and how important do you think it is to come to things like this?

BM: So, I've been coming to these things with (Middlesex defensive backs coach and event organizer Will) Croom for probably four years now, and my experience today is the same it's always been. It's been great. We all work hard. It's pretty unbelievable what he does for all the kids, and I think it's so important that Massachusetts just gets together and we keep doing this thing, you know what I mean? Get on the map.

MV: What are your plans for the rest of the winter and spring?

BM: Rest of the winter and spring, take a lot of visits, definitely a lot of visits. Work out a lot, and then hopefully get some coaches on campus at LA to throw in front of.

MV: Where do you want to visit?

BM: I'm definitely going back to Duke. I'm trying to get to Colorado, Boulder, because one of the coaches I was close with at UNC is there now. I'll be around here, definitely, to UMass. I'll probably get down to North Carolina again, Michigan State maybe, and then, that's about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boston College star Lukas Denis, seen with a mother's love, stern eye

Christian Ferrara provides lift for Western Mass. athletes

Q&A with Dennis-Yarmouth WR Geoffrey Jamiel