Q&A with Milton Academy RB/LB Kalel Mullings

HANOVER — Although he did not participate in testing or drills, Kalel Mullings came to the MASS ELITE 7v7 Underclassmen Showcase Sunday at the Starland Sportsplex, and interacted afterward with those who did.

Mullings, a junior running back and outside linebacker from Milton Academy, had an injury-shortened 2018 season, but that has not slowed down his recruitment in the slightest. The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder has offers from the likes of Clemson, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, Boston College, UMass, and Stanford. Mullings was also recently selected to play in the 2020 All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

We spoke with Mullings after Sunday's event. Here is an edited version of that conversation.

MassVarsity: What has your winter been like? What kind of stuff have you been up to?

Kalel Mullings: Not much. Nothing much. Just focusing on school. We have exams coming up soon. So that's a big, big thing for us, for me to just knock those out of the park. So nothing much. Nothing crazy, really.

MV: This season, you played four games?

KM: Yes. Five, actually.

MV: You were injured?

KM: Yeah, so I sprained my AC joint when we played Belmont Hill. So I played the first four games; the fourth game I sprained my AC joint. Then, I played our last game against Nobles, so I missed a couple of games in the middle.

MV: What's the recruiting process been like? Obviously, it seems like a million schools are after you. Can it be overwhelming at times?

KM: Oh, yeah, it definitely can. You just have to keep yourself grounded, not let it go all to your head, make sure you're making a smart, informed decision. So, yeah, it can be overwhelming at times. But my parents, they're great. They try to take as much pressure off of me at times when I need it. So times like these, when there's exams going on, things like that, I'm not really too focused on the recruiting. I'm kind of focused on making sure I knock my exams out of the park, because if I don't do that, if I'm not doing well in school, I'm not performing the way I need to perform and all that stuff, it all just doesn't mean anything.

MV: So it's probably going to be a busy spring and summer for you. Do you know which schools you want to visit yet?

KM: I think more of the same. I'm just trying to cut down my list as I continue to go to these schools, and more of the schools that I've more recently just received offers from.

MV: A lot of kids from the ISL have gone to Division 1 schools lately. How often do you keep in touch with them to understand what sort of things to look out for, what you want to do?

KM: I've definitely been talking to those other guys going to those big places. But not just football players, but basketball players, lacrosse players, things like that, as well, to see what college is like, in a sense. So, yeah, I'm definitely always keeping up with those guys, knowing what can I take seriously from a coach, and what can't I take seriously, and how to treat the whole process. So I'm always doing that, every time I go on visits to certain schools where I might have a person that I know, or someone that has a connection. I'm always doing that.

MV: Are places saying they want you at running back, at linebacker, or just decide when you get there?

KM: So, it depends on the school. Some schools are saying they'll take me for both, either one I want to play, some at linebacker, some at running back. So it really just depends on the school.

MV: Do you have a preference?

KM: No. Honestly, as soon as I get to college, I just want to play as fast as possible. I feel like I can see myself playing both, but I feel like I might have a higher ceiling for linebacker. That's what I've been told. But I enjoy running back. I love running back, as well. I just love playing football. I love getting the ball in my hands, too. But I love playing both, so it's hard.

MV: Do you play any other sports?

KM: I play basketball, and I run track, as well.

MV: What do you like about coming to these showcases, even if you're not working out?

KM: I just like seeing what the next Massachusetts talent is. Some of my younger teammates were here, and some of the kids that I've known playing with growing up, just helping them out a little bit, and just doing those types of things.

MV: Is it fun representing Massachusetts as one of the top prospects in the country?

KM: Yeah, it's a lot of fun. It's a lot of fun. Just trying to continue to put Mass. on the map. Other dudes are already D-1, like (Boston College running back) AJ Dillon, (Penn State tight end) Pat Friermuth, those types of guys. There's countless of those types of guys, but those types of guys have already put Mass. on the map, and I'm just reaping the benefits of that. I'm just trying to continue to pass it down to the next kid, and he'll keep passing it down to the point where Massachusetts is a football hotbed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boston College star Lukas Denis, seen with a mother's love, stern eye

Christian Ferrara provides lift for Western Mass. athletes

Q&A with Dennis-Yarmouth WR Geoffrey Jamiel